What is Dev Catalyst?
Dev Catalyst began in 2013 with the mission of improving technology education and growing tech talent among West Tennessee students. Since then, students from across Tennessee and beyond have joined the program. Dev Catalyst works to cultivate student tech talent in web development, physical computing, UX and data management.
how does it work?
Dev Catalyst is rooted in developing student coders who are marketable in today’s workforce and we offer five competition categories: Raspberry Pi with Scratch (middle school), Raspberry Pi with Python (high school), Novice Web Development (high school), Advanced Web Development (high school) and Data Development (high school).
Students in the Raspberry Pi categories gain experience in physical computing as they work with a team to develop a product. Students in Novice and Advanced Web Dev seek out local businesses or nonprofit organizations to serve as their “client” for a website project to add to their online portfolios. Through this collaboration between client and student, students further develop their professional and coding skills. Our Data Dev track teaches students to implement and utilize relational database systems that their dev team can use in creating their data-driven applications.
Interested yet? If your school doesn't yet offer Dev Catalyst click to learn more!
- Dev Catalyst rewards the top performing students at an event with awards such as trophies, mini iPads and all-expenses-paid trips on our San Francisco Tech Tour. The Tech Tour includes visiting companies such as Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Pivotal Labs.
- Opportunities to work collaboratively on special projects under the mentorship of tech professionals
Speaking of special projects, for the past two Summers we've created Student Dev Teams that have worked on awesome projects in the community. Get more details about each dev team by clicking on the following: Summer of 2016 Socktober website and Summer of 2017 Jackson-Madison County Library's Big Read website. We look forward to future project opportunities for some of the best and brightest of the students in the program.
- Professional development opportunities including workshops built with you, the teacher in mind
- Access to attend our CO:de meet-up, targeted to technology focused individuals. It meets the 3rd Tuesday of every month and is led by a local technology guru
- One free administrative account per school to the Dev Catalyst Learn platform
- Supplemental classroom resources
- Opportunity to attend the San Francisco Tech Tour as a Top Teacher